Monday, October 29, 2007

Meet Paricia, The SilverDragon

Patricia writes:

Well, I am a very talented person. I used to be shy about saying this, but as it is the truth, I am learning not to be shy about it. I was a professional ballerina when I was younger but all that starving to lose ever more weight made me ver ill and I finally had to stop dancing. That didn't stop me from continuing to be an artist, though, nor from persuing a dual degree in Math and Physics (and then a Master in Astrophysics) to assuage my innate curiosity.

As an artist I initially concentrated on two dimensional work - paintings, drawings, some photography - but I somehow found my way to delving into beadweaving. Textiles had and still have always been a fascination of mine. And when something fascinates me I want to get my hands into it.

Beadweaving is great because not only am I creating something that is three dimensional but can also be considered to be a textile (made of glass!) as well. But I will always love putting art on paper as well and am very proud of the illustrations I did for "Papa Cardinal Finds Breakfast" by Sandra Wellborn.

My favorite item is a piece that I sold a couple years ago called "Tao." it is a study of purples and violets and lavendars and AB crystal. I still have an image of it on my website despite the fact that the scan isn't as good as I'd like (and can now make). Its page is http://vener-art.com/Beads/necklace-crystal-tao.html.

I find inspiration everywhere, both internal and external. Sometimes it is the material itself that inspires me but inspiration can also come from a glint of color in the sky, an archeological image, a painting, a poem, even an equation. Sometimes just standing there minding my own business and snap! I am hit with an idea.I am still learning the ins and outs of the business aspect of being an artist who intends to make her living from her work.

I advertise first of all by handing out cards and bookmarks, (I print them at home more or less as needed), networking (I've started going to Women's Business Connection meetings), word of mouth, and by a pair of cooperative ads with other artists, (three ads in Ornament Magazine with several other Art Jewelry Collective Street Team members and a joint postcard issuance with other Etsy Beadweavers Street Team artists).

My advice is to find education where you can. For us as artists the creative aspect is much easier than the entrepenurial aspect. If you can afford help, get it. If you can't, work hard and pay attention. That's what I am doing but I know that if (better, when) I can afford it I will be getting a CPA to do my bookkeeping! Finally, write up a business plan and review it occasionally. I, myself, am a year late in doing that review!

I am on several websites. The main two are my own site http://vener-art.com/ and http://SilverDragon.etsy.com/ but I alo have a presence on Smashing Darling and Artchestra. (And there may be another but I haven't actually spent much (or even enough) time developing these.

No comments: